Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The words of the Prophet

My heart was so filled with joy as I was able to watch President Monson give his talk at the CES Fireside this past Sunday, January 11th. How blessed we all are to have the gospel in our lives and to be able to have a living Prophet called by the Lord to lead and guide His church at this time. I had been looking forward to hearing from President Monson ever since I found out that he would be speaking back in December...President Monson said some things that touched my heart, and I truly felt as if he was speaking directly to me. I know that he spoke the words that Heavenly Father and the Lord wanted him to speak, by the power of the Holy Ghost. You can watch his talk here
I am hoping that CES will post President Monson's talk soon in HTML format so I can print it and read it again. President Monson spoke of 'adequate, thorough preparation', and that our preparation began long ago in the premortal world of Spirits. President Monson reminds us of our great expectations, and that 'great things are expected' of us.
President Monson gave us four key ways in which we can 'run the race of life' that we may win the prize.
They were:

1. Avoid the pitfalls and detours that would deter you from the path of righteousness. He admonished us to seek after all that is virtuous, lovely, of good report and praiseworthy, as our Thirteenth Article of Faith states.

2. Persevere. President Monson spoke of Christopher Columbus, and that through his long and arduous journey to this new land, he remained optimistic. I love CC's words which President Monson quoted- "This day we sailed on". What an example of perseverance even when the goal seemed so far off in the distance, when there was no green land on the horizon, when all there was to be seen by the naked eye was sea, ocean, sky. Columbus did not stop sailing, he pressed forward in determination.

3. Look at your brothers and sisters in the right (I would say, eternal) perspective. Truly I needed to hear this. How grateful I am for the knowledge that we are all brothers and sisters of a loving, merciful Father in Heaven. President Monson said- "An attitude of love characterized the Savior's mission". Truly we ought to show the same pure love our Savior has for all of us, to all of those around us. President Monson admonished us to serve those around us, even as the Savior would if He were here today.

4. Seek the help of the Lord. President Monson admonishes us to 'make room' for the Savior in our lives. For truly, our Savior 'stands at the door and knocks'.

I was so happy to be able to watch this talk and learn from the Prophet of the Lord how I can better live my life.

0 comments: